Yia sas! That's how you say hello in Greek

My Photo
Pam
I will soon be a traveler to Greece once more. The first time I went to Greece was over 30 years ago. My goal is that each of my family has fun no matter what we do on our trip. So get ready to come along with us as we look at places others miss and see what treasures we can uncover!
View my complete profile

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fate and Faith

There was an iconostasis on an isolated part of a road on the outskirts of my mother's childhood village that was never lit. The chief icon inside was of St. Constantine and St. Helen. I stopped as often as I could to light its vigil lamp whenever we visited family. My mother believes my efforts were rewarded by the saints because years later I married my husband, Constantine. In a sense, though we were separated by time and place, we found each other as these saints had found Christ's cross. Now some of you will say how silly but I assure you we never would have met if it wasn't predestined by God as we lived 330 miles apart in the States. My mother was in Greece having her house alarm repaired by my husband's cousin. He then approached my mother as to whether she had any eligible daughters for marriage as he had a cousin in America looking to get married. We met and despite the physical distance between us we were married within a year. Everyone attributes it to fate or written by the hand of God because so many pieces fell into place for the conclusion. My mother, of course, remembers the little church by the side of the road. If your kids become bored in Greece share the idea with them that destiny has brought them to Greece and one way or another it will be a life changing experience. The above icon is of Sts. Constantine and Helen from http://www.icnograms.org/ where you can send greeting cards with icons on them.

2 comments:

Jennifer Miller said...

I had never heard the story about Constantine, but I was more fascinated with how you met your husband. Truly amazing! I spent about a month in Athens a few years back and loved it. I was there for work, so we had a “fixer” -- kind of like a translator – who was with us all the time. Her name is Chryssa and we have become good friends.

One day, when our crew was having a rough day, she asked to take a break. The crew sat on a street side as she went into a church and prayed for us. That was pretty moving. I also noticed she made a lot of references to the “evil eye” and other tools to keep away evil spirits.

Greece is a wonderful country, soaked in Christian history. I would like to go back and journey through many of the places mentioned in the Bible.

Pam said...

Thanks Jennifer
Evil Eye is a big preoccupation. Many cultures have it: Italians, Spaniards, Jews, Arabs, etc. My Indian doctor puts up little mirrors facing out at his office to ward it off. I'm so happy you enjoyed Greece. It is one of the few countries where its pagan roots are so evident and cherished as mythology.

Post a Comment

Boost my ego and leave me a note. Thanks for stopping by!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Kathimerini English Edition : Print Edition : 12/6/09