Yia sas! That's how you say hello in Greek

My Photo
Pam
I will soon be a traveler to Greece once more. The first time I went to Greece was over 30 years ago. My goal is that each of my family has fun no matter what we do on our trip. So get ready to come along with us as we look at places others miss and see what treasures we can uncover!
View my complete profile

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Grandparents' ghosts

We spent last week in my father's village of Ag'Yianni. The village is on the southern coast of the Peloponnesus, an arid rough part of the country battered by coastal winds, salty air, and very little rain. Beautiful and wild, I wondered how anyone could have lived here without our modern conveniences. Tenacity, in a word, was the key to their survival. I've met a lot of people from here but never realized before how many faces, expressions and mannerisms of the people of this village remind me of my tenacious grandparents and my father. Many of the villagers saw these same traits in my children and my self, our inheritance you could say. I had a myriad of flashbacks of my first visit here when I was nine and hearing stories of my father's antics as a boy from his parents. Sadly, my grandparents are gone but their home where they bore and reared their children still stands. The old style of architecture can often be seen in converted hotels which keep the old style of furniture, linens, and simple art as part of their ambiance. It may seem clumsy or unrefined but it is often made by hand and is irreplaceable. If you get a chance, stay in one of these hotels and soak up the history and the people. Who knows, maybe you'll see a little of yourself in their faces as I’m sure they’ll see in yours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monemvasia

3 comments:

down2earthlupie said...

Pam,

First of all I'm in Germany for work and your post makes me want to travel even more. I'm currently planning a trip to Africa next year with some friends.

This is so great that your children are able to see your roots. About a year or two ago I started an oral history of my dad's life. We were a product of a second marriage and he was in his 50s when we were born so we never met our grandparents. So I begun asking questions when I would go home on vacation. I wish I began earlier so we could pass it on to my 3-year old nephew. He passed away two and a half years ago at 86 and I still have great memories.

Pam said...

Thanks down2earthlupie! It's about 2 hr plane ride to Athens from Germany if you'd like to come for a visit. I would love to visit Africa too. It's such a big continent. We have friends who are Peace Corps volunteers in Niger. I stress to my kids to take advantage of this time with their grandparents. It is very important to me also that they know their cultural history.

Saralee said...

My aunt and uncle came to visit last night on their way home to Florida. I was struck by the mannerisms and expression my uncle uses that look just like me! Other little things, too, like the crooked pinky finger and the bump on the earlobe. Funny how family is so clearly family.

Post a Comment

Boost my ego and leave me a note. Thanks for stopping by!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Kathimerini English Edition : Print Edition : 12/6/09