Yia sas! That's how you say hello in Greek

My Photo
Pam
I will soon be a traveler to Greece once more. The first time I went to Greece was over 30 years ago. My goal is that each of my family has fun no matter what we do on our trip. So get ready to come along with us as we look at places others miss and see what treasures we can uncover!
View my complete profile

Friday, July 17, 2009

Hospital survival


Though this is off topic for this blog there are a few things you should know if you should become ill or hurt in Greece. First, don't expect the same organization as in American hospitals. You will run in circles for x-rays, blood tests, registration etc. My father came for knee replacement surgery and painfully hobbled to four different buildings. Secondly, the "fakelaki" (envelope) is a must. This is an illegal practice of "under the table bribes" which doctors, nurses, orderlies and the like expect to ensure a slightly higher level of care. There may be ethical medical practitioners somewhere in Greece but I have yet to meet one. Greeks themselves perpetuate the problem rather than solve it as they don't report it to authorities. Even I won't mention which hospital we're in or which doctors we're seeing for fear of retribution of this post. Next, you will be expected to provide the majority of the care for your loved one such as bathing, bedpan duty, etc. At present, there are 2 nurses for over 30 orthopedic patients on this floor. The noise level is unbelievable and doctors and patients smoke while hiding from one another. Last, you will be required to donate blood. If you are unfit to donate you have to find or pay someone else to do it for you. All I can say is what a mess. If you can, go back home and get your health in order or be sure to go to a private hospital. Below are related links to the health care controversies in Greece:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blog often and I genuinely thank you for your content.

Your article has truly peaked my interest.

I'm going to take a note of your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed as well.

Here is my web blog; レイバン

Post a Comment

Boost my ego and leave me a note. Thanks for stopping by!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Kathimerini English Edition : Print Edition : 12/6/09